The Committee of Biotechnology is a part of the Academy constituting a self-governing representation of biotechnology for the purpose of integrating Polish scholars in order to disseminate of the research results, and to initiate cooperation with foreign scientific centers. The scope of Committee covers biotechnology (including related sciences such as biochemistry, biophysics, bioorganic chemistry, genetics and microbiology) and its use in industry and other sectors of the national economy. It also serves as the National Committee for Cooperation with the International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB) and the National Committee for Cooperation with the European Federation of Biotechnology (EFB).
The development of scientific discipline – biotechnology is implemented particularly by:
- Analysis and assessment of scientific activities as well as issuing opinionson science policy, particularly in the fields of research priorities within the scientific disciplines represented by the Committee.
- Cooperation with government authorities, in particular the Ministry of Science and Higher Education, the National Research and Development Centre, the National Science Centre, the Main Council of Science and Higher Education and the Council of Research Institutes in major cases involving assessments of the disciplines state and level, research priorities and directions of development.
- Initiation the research and the development of scientific institutions in the disciplines represented by the Committee. The evaluation of their research programs on the request of government bodies supervising these institutions and Polish Academy of Sciences.
- Engaging in the dissemination and popularization of research results and putting into practice the social and economic results of the research in the disciplines represented as well as organizing the discussions and conferences including interdisciplinary, having a close relationship with the scope of the Committee .
- Preparation, at the request of governmental authorities, one of the bodies of the Polish Academy of Sciences and on his own initiative, expertizes, statements and scientific opinions on matters within the scope of the Committee of particular importance for the socio - economic and cultural development of the country.
- Publishing activities, assessment and commenting the level and needs of scientific publications in the field of science represented.
- Analysis and evaluation of teaching programmes. Speaking out on the matters of scientific staff education. Activation and development activities of early stage researchers in the areas of the Committee scope.
- Initiating the cooperation with international organizations and research centers on the fields represented by the Committee, including the implementation of tasks resulting from the cooperation with the International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB) and the Committee of the European Federation of Biotechnology (EFB), in particular:
- Appointment of the national sections of international scientific unions and associations.
- Issuing opinions on candidates for corresponding members of the Polish Academy of Sciences in the range of disciplines represented by the Committee.
- coordinating scientific activities in Poland in terms of cooperation with the ICGEB and EFB;
- organizing conferences on issues falling within the scope of scientific programs ICGEB and EFB;
- promotion of scientific achievements of Polish science to these organizations and dissemination of their programs and activities in Poland;
- recruitment of Polish delegates to congresses and conferences organized under the auspices of the ICGEB and EFB ;
- notification of candidates representatives of Polish science to authorities ICGEB and EFB
- Notification and review of applications for awards within the field of scientific disciplines represented by the Committee.
- Cooperation with specialized scientific associations in the field of represented by the Committee.
- Other matters commissioned by the Academy or initiated by the Committee.